Thursday, October 22, 2009
Since we have lost 4 races a row, even with bringing out a larger displacement Ducati, in in Vintage Heavy Weight; we were forced to build a bike that would compete in order to try and save our points lead.
So, we borrowed George Beaver's unfinished 1981 Suzuki GS 1100 race bike. Ed Milich engineered and adapted a 2006 GSXR fork with radial calipers, Brembo brakes and Marchesini forged aluminum wheels. In order to make the geometry work with the 50mm GSXR forks, Ed designed fork extensions.
These are beautiful Ed. Nice work!.
Then Ed machined some wheel spacers and adapters.
Here is the naked GS with the forks and wheels mounted.
George had already been running this bike in WSMC and AHRMA in the past years, It has a slight over bored kit and competition cams, APM drag clutch, Dyna adjustable ignition system, and it runs a total loss on a small cell battery.
When I got the bike, it was naked, and George had a old GSXR race faring, GP Cycles, hanging in his rafters along with a lower. He said that he had always wanted to have these mounted to the bike, and I decided to make it happen in less than one week. Problem is that the lower wouldn't fit well with the exhaust. Eric Orr has had this older CBR race tail section hanging in his garage for years, and I have borrowed it a couple of times in hopes of mounting to something. Well, after the 3rd time of borrowing and never using it; Eric said "this is the last time buddy you oh me 35 bucks!" So here it is mocked up in my shop.
George had a upper faring stay therefore; I had to weld on mounts for it. The I had issues with the lower since it didn't fit well around the exhaust. So, I brought the bike over to Smilie at Barnacle Bros; who specialize in Fiberglass work.
We cut out the protruding exhaust and molded around it and then applied some Kevlar to the area because it will most likely be the area it will touch the pavement.
Smilie also helped me mount the fairings and cut the seat to fit around the shocks.
Here are some pictures of the bike at his shop. Note: two days before race day. haha
The night before the race I mounted an old front fender I had laying around, put a coat of Satin Black on the fiberglass, put some black vehicle vinyl on the tank, and designed some sponsor stickers. I also picked up a front windshield from Johnson and Woods.